baslinux - Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 01:41:27 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005, David Moberg wrote:

On 12/11/05, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
mknod /dev/input/mouse0 c 13 32
ln -sf /dev/input/mouse0 /dev/mouse

WHy does the Linux USB HOWTO say to use module mouse.o (instead of hid.o
and mousedev.o, or else usbmouse.o) and mknod /dev/usbmouse0 c 180 16
(similar to /dev/usblp0 c 180 13).

Where is the Linux USB HOWTO? I got the directions for USB keyboard and
mouse from here:

http://www.linux-usb.org/USB-guide/x194.html

This says to make /dev/input/mouse and you said to make /dev/input/mouse0.

I found mknod /dev/usbmouse0 c 180 16 at
http://old.lwn.net/1999/1216/a/usb-howto.html
Maybe this is 'old' and things have changed.

I also found mknod /dev/usbmouse0 c 10 32 and elsewhere c 13 32

mouse.o might be some other system (bp) that your source says is not as good.

Are there three different USB mouse driver modules?

I have not seen this mouse.o. I have only seen hid and usbmouse.

Did you choose the combination that takes up the least space on hard
drive, or in RAM?

I chose the biggest combination. You would save 10K in initrd.gz
by replacing hid.o with usbmouse and usbkbd.

Does hid work better, or let you use additional human interface devices?

I mounted (loop) 1440.img on /mnt, then tried to gunzip the contained
initrd.gz, but was told 'no space left on device' (/mnt is the device).

/dev/loop0 is the device.
Did I make a loop1 later?

So I copied initrd.gz to /tmp and unzipped it there and mounted it to /hd
and am looking in /modules right now.

scsi_mod.o 83912 bytes
sd_mod.o 15326

Useful for booting from scsi drive,

And also useful for using digital cameras.
Which ones?

and together with parport.o, parport_pc.o, and ppa.o or imm.o, for copying
photos to zip drive and testing SCSI zip drive, and also maybe for testing
USB CD-ROM drives (with sr_mod.o - about 22411 bytes) and USB scanners
(sg.o -size?).

35228 bytes.

Does the kernel support these last two?

Yes.

Would it be hard to set up a usb cd-rom drive using the scsi modules?
Or can I simply insert scsi_mod and sr_mod and mount /dev/sr0 (after I make it)?

Is printer.o the usb equivalent of lp.o, and
usbcore and usb-uhci (or ohci) the equivalent of parport.o and
parport_pc.o?

I believe so.

df: 50% used of 3963 blocks. Lots of room in ram to add scsi modules.

I started out with a 2MB ramdisk but kept running out of room so I made
it bigger.

Why, when I try again to mount -o loop 1440.img (loop is still
inserted) mount: could not find any free loop device

Nothing is currently mounted with loop but I can't rmmod it: loop:
Device or resource busy. 'mount' says only my hard drive is mounted.
lsmod says loop is used by 5 - what is 5? ps - PID 5 is [kswapd].

I have no idea what is happening here. Is there more than one
/dev/loop* device?

I thought I unmounted both of them. (Both files mounted as loop).

What does the ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 do in /etc/rc? Wikipedia says a
loopback address is used to test IP software. You said you added it, why?
Is it related to networking and X?

It is for X. X needs a network, and ifconfig lo sets up the loopback
network so you can use X on the local machine.

I notice that 'uname' in busybox, for BL2, prints
Linux Basiclinux 2.2.16
but for your version prints
Linux (none) 2.4.31 - do you want to give it a name and if so how?

hostname. I removed most of the busybox networking applets, but if you
want hostname I can include it.
No need, just curious.

Why did you include busybox usleep? (not found in BLs). Is this helpful
in writing scripts for things like plip and sound, where you need to wait
between lines?

It is like sleep, but it is precise to the millisecond. I haven't found a use
for it yet but it is only about 50 bytes of code, according to 'size'.

If so, should the next BL include it too?

No need.

Thanks for all the info.

David