baslinux - Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera

  • From: David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 11:46:39 -0800

On 12/11/05, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> mknod /dev/input/mouse0 c 13 32
> ln -sf /dev/input/mouse0 /dev/mouse
>
> WHy does the Linux USB HOWTO say to use module mouse.o (instead of hid.o
> and mousedev.o, or else usbmouse.o) and mknod /dev/usbmouse0 c 180 16
> (similar to /dev/usblp0 c 180 13).

Where is the Linux USB HOWTO? I got the directions for USB keyboard and
mouse from here:

http://www.linux-usb.org/USB-guide/x194.html

> Are there three different USB mouse driver modules?

I have not seen this mouse.o. I have only seen hid and usbmouse.

> Did you choose the combination that takes up the least space on hard
> drive, or in RAM?

I chose the biggest combination. You would save 10K in initrd.gz
by replacing hid.o with usbmouse and usbkbd.

> I mounted (loop) 1440.img on /mnt, then tried to gunzip the contained
> initrd.gz, but was told 'no space left on device' (/mnt is the device).

/dev/loop0 is the device.

> So I copied initrd.gz to /tmp and unzipped it there and mounted it to /hd
> and am looking in /modules right now.
>
> scsi_mod.o 83912 bytes
> sd_mod.o 15326
>
> Useful for booting from scsi drive,

And also useful for using digital cameras.

> and together with parport.o, parport_pc.o, and ppa.o or imm.o, for copying
> photos to zip drive and testing SCSI zip drive, and also maybe for testing
> USB CD-ROM drives (with sr_mod.o - about 22411 bytes) and USB scanners
> (sg.o -size?).

35228 bytes.

> Does the kernel support these last two?

Yes.

> Is printer.o the usb equivalent of lp.o, and
> usbcore and usb-uhci (or ohci) the equivalent of parport.o and
> parport_pc.o?

I believe so.

> df: 50% used of 3963 blocks. Lots of room in ram to add scsi modules.

I started out with a 2MB ramdisk but kept running out of room so I made
it bigger.

> Why, when I try again to mount -o loop 1440.img (loop is still
> inserted) mount: could not find any free loop device
>
> Nothing is currently mounted with loop but I can't rmmod it: loop:
> Device or resource busy. 'mount' says only my hard drive is mounted.
> lsmod says loop is used by 5 - what is 5? ps - PID 5 is [kswapd].

I have no idea what is happening here. Is there more than one
/dev/loop* device?

> What does the ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 do in /etc/rc? Wikipedia says a
> loopback address is used to test IP software. You said you added it, why?
> Is it related to networking and X?

It is for X. X needs a network, and ifconfig lo sets up the loopback
network so you can use X on the local machine.

> I notice that 'uname' in busybox, for BL2, prints
> Linux Basiclinux 2.2.16
> but for your version prints
> Linux (none) 2.4.31 - do you want to give it a name and if so how?

hostname. I removed most of the busybox networking applets, but if you
want hostname I can include it.

> Why did you include busybox usleep? (not found in BLs). Is this helpful
> in writing scripts for things like plip and sound, where you need to wait
> between lines?

It is like sleep, but it is precise to the millisecond. I haven't found a use
for it yet but it is only about 50 bytes of code, according to 'size'.

> If so, should the next BL include it too?

No need.

David