baslinux - Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: jkilar -- jkilar <jkilar AT myrealbox.com>, kilar <kilar AT wt.net>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera
  • Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 02:07:56 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005, David Moberg wrote:

On 12/7/05, sindi keesan <keesan at sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

Tonight I took the boot disk and modules to my neighbor's house and he
plugged in all his USB devices:
1) 4-port USB hub (it was recognized)
2) Sandisk Cruzer Micro memory stick - found it as sda1

I have one of these. I believe that you need to mount sda instead of
sda1 so that Windows/DOS will not get confused.

In linux we mounted /dev/sda1. There is no DOS on that computer.

3) Kodak DX3700 camera - found but no active driver for it
(vend/prod 0x40a/0x530)

This is not a mass storage device. It requires gphoto2. (See the
beginning of this thread.) You will want Slackware 8+ to use it.

I recall something about this.

4) PDA - not even found

Was it turned on? Did you tell the PDA to sync with the PC?

I don't know. I think he did what he usually does to use it in Windows. Should it be recognized as mass storage?

6) mouse (into the other USB port on the computer) - found it but I think
we need more modules. I tried insmodding mousedev.o from your modules.

You also need to mknod (I posted about this earlier).

I will look that up. Do you want to include that device in the next edition?

How do we enter the vend/prod id during boot or after, if we don't have
any control over the boot,

mount 1440.img
edit syslinux.cfg

and are not insmodding usb-storage?

usb-storage does not accept vend/prod ids at runtime, at least in
Linux 2.4.31. You must recompile to add unusual device ids.

So this boot disk is not likely to work with all usb storage devices?

You can rmmod usb-storage and insert it again if it is not in use.

I guess we were incredibly lucky that the first Sandisk CF reader worked,
and the Olympus SM reader worked, since this Sandisk ZIO does not work,
with your boot disk (unless you have made serious changes - I only checked
the first two on the first edition, and this last on the second edition).

Have you tried Slackware? I believe that Linux has very poor support
of unusual usb-storage devices.

What counts as unusual? So far it supported two out of four USB card readers without recompiling, and one memory stick and one camera, and not the USB PDA (but that might also need serial.o).

I have not made any drastic kernel changes - I just added a few
modules.

Do you need to insmod serial to use a serial mouse?

Yes.

(Does serial need some other module inserted first?)

isa-pnp.o if you have a PnP serial card or modem.

So is printer.o useful only for detecting the printer's existence, or what
do we do with it?

insmod it, mknod /dev/usblp0 c 180 0, try sending something to it.
Can you also include this /dev next edition?

First check what type of files it will accept. (maybe PostScript?)
Then send a file of that type with 'cat'.

I will try that next time I get near a USB printer.

So what uses usb-serial?

PDAs, RS-232 adapters, etc.

Z appears to toggle the resolution.

It appears to toggle the zoom level for me.

Is this not the same thing?

I think that zooming just resizes the image, but increasing the
resolution does not resize the image.

Hitting ] makes the image smaller (more of it fits on the screen).

Matrox works (surprisingly well) as plain VGA.
It works even better as chipset VESA.

Does anything you have _not_ work with chipset VESA?

I only tested your new zgv on Matrox and S3Trio3D (both vesa 2.0). I think some vesa 1.2 cards don't - S3 Trio64V? Cirrus?

I posted earlier about svgalib and various PCI video cards.

chipset FBdev does not work with Matrox or Trio3d - mmap error rrr
Maybe you did not compile it to work with fb and should omit that line.

I think it has FB support. Did you boot in FB mode and mknod fb0? I
will remove the line if framebuffer will not improve compatibility.

To boot with your 1-floppy linux in FB mode would I need to edit syslinux.cfg?

David