baslinux - Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera

  • From: "Sheldon Isaac" <SheldonIsaac AT MyRealBox.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 11:54:01 -0500

On 22 Nov 2005 at 8:19, David Moberg wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 22, 2005, Sheldon Isaac wrote:
> > When I said to use loop it gave a kernel panic and said something about
> > ext2-fs and flashed the keybord lights of caps lock and scroll lock. I had
> > to do hardware reset.
>
> This is definitely a bug. Sorry about that. I will try to fix it soon.

David,

I am not sure. Maybe it was something weird here, rather than a bug in one
of your files.

In the interim, I had done a "frugal" install of Damn Small Linux ver 1.5.
That does something like this: copies the live CD to a linux partition on
a hard drive, but also makes a boot directory there with directories and
files related to booting.
The first time I did it, the install script(?) offered a choice of LILO or
GRUB - I picked LILO. After rebooting, it started Damn Small Linux fine,
but I couldn't see how to start MS-Windows.
So then I found a DOS/Windows boot floppy, and did fdisk /mbr.
Then I could boot Windows as usual.
And then re-did the frugal" install of Damn Small Linux , this time
choosing GRUB.
It still messed with the MBR on the first hard drive, but the menu it shows
lets me choose DSL or Windows/DOS.

Anyhow, I wondered whether my system is to blame for the

loadlin usb2.gz root=/dev/loop0 initrd=initrd.gz rw

not working?

Or did I mess up, and should I re-download the kernel and the initrd?

Thanks,
Sheldon