baslinux - Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera

  • From: "Sheldon Isaac" <sisaac AT netaxs.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 14:04:25 -0500

On 24 Nov 2005 at 18:25, sindi keesan wrote:
> > I guess you mean
> > http://us.share.geocities.com/davidjmoberg/usb2.gz ?
> >
> > As I recall, it was doing the loop with that kernel and the
> > http://us.share.geocities.com/davidjmoberg/initrd.gz
> >
> > ASUS p5a motherboard, maybe revision 1.06? Made sometime between about
> > 1998 and 2000 ?
> > Amd K6-2-450
> > Matrox Productiva G100 AGP

> I seem to have misunderstood. You had a kernel panic with one of his
> kernels and some version of BL2.

Maybe I misunderstood.

I put David's 2 files in the C:\baslin directory, where BL3.32 is.

I don't know which if say of the existing BL3 files were used when I booted
loop as instructed, and go the panic and hang?

When I booted the new kernel along with the hard-drive installation of
BL3.32, it worked.

Please excuse if not clear.

> Maybe this latest kernel was designed to work with loop linux (insmodding
> loop with initrd) but not yet with msdos file systems or my smartmedia
> card.

Huh? After the successful boot (above), it could mount /dev/hda1, which is
DOS format.

> > I see that DSL has moved to a 2.4.31 kernel, but someone said many modules
> > were omitted to make room for it in the 50Mb distro?
> > I guess David's kernel is designed to be small.
>
> Do you know how much RAM DSL requires? SW91 live CD would not boot with
> 16MB but did boot with 32MB and is non-gui.

No, sorry; I don't think that

http://damnsmalllinux.org/wiki/index.php/FAQ

really gives enough info?

Certainly DSL can be made to boot non-GUI.

Thanks,
Sheldon