baslinux - Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera
  • Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 04:35:39 +0000 (UTC)

The full error message was:
usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x66b/0x105) is not claimed by any
active driver.

These are vendor and product id's.

My smartmedia card is apparently made by SCM microsystems. More information about the card was provided by someone in a mail list:

Linkname: [Linux-usb-users] Soyo Bayone memory card reader

http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-usb-users AT lists.sourceforge.net/msg07286.html

(They had an Olympus smartmedia reader and a Soyo card reader both plugged into the camera).

You can buy internal USB card readers that plug into the USB header instead of into USB ports, in case you have headers but not ports like we do on most computers. They probably need the same linux drivers as the external readers.

David, in case other people have screwy storage devices, would you want to compile a kernel to accept usb-storage as a module, and then only have to recompile the module once in a while instead of the whole kernel (assuming you are willing to provide this service to us dummies)? I once tried to compile a module for an ethernet card and seriously scrambled my file system somehow. I went back to using older cards instead.

It would be much less educational if this all worked on the first try.