baslinux - Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 22:47:35 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005, Sheldon Isaac wrote:

I booted the USB2.GZ 341979 with INITRD.GZ 309488
as in the batch file below.

When I said to use loop it gave a kernel panic and said something about
ext2-fs and flashed the keybord lights of caps lock and scroll lock. I had
to do hardware reset.

When I used the existing BL3 installed on dev/hda2, it worked fine.

Thanks a lot,
Sheldon
=========

REM loadlin zimage root=/dev/loop0 initrd=initfs.gz rw
REM loadlin zimage.226 root=/dev/loop0 initrd=initfs.gz rw
REM loadlin usb2.gz root=/dev/loop0 initrd=initrd.gz rw
loadlin usb2.gz root=/dev/hdb2 initrd=initrd.gz rw

I tried this with both ext2 BL2 and loop BL3.
I renamed your two files.
For BL2 ext2 I normally boot with:
loadlin zimage.p1 root=/dev/hda4 ro
For this kernel and initrd:
loadlin zimage2.usb root=/dev/hda4 initrd=initusb2.gz ro

I got several lines about usb.c finding USB hub and registering mass storage and then:
VFS: Cannot open root device "hda4" or 03:44
Please append a correct "root=" boot option.
Kernel panic. VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:44

I checked, and the regular kernel (without initrd) still boots correctly.

For BL3 loop:
loadlin zimage2.usb root=/dev/loop0 initrd=initusb2.gz rw
VFS: Cannot open root device "loop0" or 07:00
Please append.....
Kernel panic .....

I did not notice a message about ext2-fs but I had to power off and on again in both cases. I repeated the test a few times.

The older 2.4.31 kernel without initrd works fine on two computers that also work in DOS (CF card in reader, or camera).

Should I try the new setup on the other USB computer with BL2? BL3 loop? (It won't boot loop linux with 2.2.16 but might with a later kernel).