baslinux - Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera
  • Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 04:01:28 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005, sindi keesan wrote:

We then tried the smartmedia (SM) part of this reader, and also a separate
Smartmedia reader. In DOS 'target USB device not found'. In linux, USB
Device 2 (......) is not claimed by any active device.

So apparently the usb-storage module cannot handle smartmedia cards.

Any idea what module I would need for them?

The full error message was:
usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x66b/0x105) is not claimed by any active driver.

So I searched on USB smartmedia and linux.

---------------
Here is the solution, but David will have to implement it:

From a linux forum:

[31]USB SmartMedia reader problem

Hi there !
I have a problem and I hope someone can help me. I have a RedHat Linux
8.0 (kernel 2.4.18-14) system and I'm having trouble getting my USB
cardreader (Sitecom CN-301) to work. In dmesg I see the following when
I plug in the device:

Quote:
usb.c: USB disconnect on device 2
hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/2, assigned device number 3
usb.c: USB device 3 (vend/prod 0xc0b/0xa107) is not claimed by any
active driver.

When I modprobe scsi_mod, sd_mod and usb-storage nothing happens (even
if I reconnect the device). I think it has something to do with the
VendorID/ProductID which it doesn't recognize.
How can I solve this problem? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks !

Are you sure this a regular USB Mass Storage device? I just checked
the kernel source for the usb-storage driver, and it matches only on
interface information, and I'd say most USB MS devices match there
pretty well. If you want to try to add your device explicitly, open
drivers/usb/storage/usb.c in your kernel source tree and add look up
the definition of storage_usb_ids (if you search for it, the
definition is the first thing you'll find). Then add the line "{
USB_DEVICE(0xc0b, 0xa107) }," somewhere before the terminating entry.
Then you must, of course, recompile the module.

In this case, the kernel would need to be recompiled, changing the vend/prod id to match. Something like adding lines to the pcmcia config file for various devices with various ids (like I did for the pcmcia CF adaptor and the ethernet card).

Apparently I got some offbrand smartmedia card. Just bought it new from an ebay dealer, along with the CF card, which does work.

David, can you (and would you please) recompile for my smartmedia card? Unless you know how to edit the compiled kernel.

It would be handy to have a card that works in DOS, but I might be able to get a USB kernel into a 1-floppy BL3 (no X, no frills).
Would the kernel source tell me which manufacturers are standard?