baslinux - Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera
  • Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 03:35:37 +0000 (UTC)

We tried the 2.2.26 kernel with modules (scsi_mod, sd_mod, usbcore, usb-ohci, usb-storage) and the USB camera (Argus) and a recently acquired USB CF/SM combined card reader. The modules all inserted but the devices were not found (just the hub).

Then we went back to David's 2.4.31 kernel.

Both camera and CF card were recognized on two computers (ohci Compaq and uhci Gateway), in DOS and in linux by this kernel. I could insmod sda1. If I plugged them both in at once, the second was sdb1. (I think I also unplugged one and plugged in the other and it becamse sdb1 too).

We then tried the smartmedia (SM) part of this reader, and also a separate Smartmedia reader. In DOS 'target USB device not found'. In linux, USB Device 2 (......) is not claimed by any active device.

So apparently the usb-storage module cannot handle smartmedia cards.

Any idea what module I would need for them?

I will try a different serial cable. In theory they should work at 115200. The one we made ourselves only works at 19,200.

We can now download from the Argus (Compact Flash) USB camera with:
1) DOS parport card reader
2) Linux PCMCIA adaptor (treated as a memory card, ide_cs)
3) DOS USB drivers (di1000dd.sys and usbaspi.sys)
4) Linux USB drivers

David, thanks very much for this kernel, which works perfectly with compact flash cards, but not, apparently, with smartmedia cards.

Steven, thanks for the 2.2.26 kernel, which will be handy if we ever need to use a usb printer or scanner or mouse or keyboard.

I am back approximately where I started. I will research pcmcia adaptors for smartmedia cards. And smartmedia cards in linux.