baslinux - Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera

  • From: David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 21:37:15 -0800

On 11/21/05, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> If the kernel is zimage.usb2, is the following correct:
>
> BL2 ext2 loadlin zimage.usb2 root=/dev/hdb2 ro initrd=initrd.gz
> BL2 ramdisk root=/dev/ram rw initrd=initrd.gz

ramdisk will not work yet. Sorry.

> BL3 ext2 root=/dev/hdb1 rw initrd=initrd.gz
> BL3 loop root=/dev/loop0 rw initrd=initrd.gz

Everything else is correct.

> What is initrd.gz doing?

Inserting modules (because the BL insmod will not work with
2.4.31)

> Why does regular BL use it for ramdisk and loop
> but not to boot to ext2?

It has everything set to 'Y' for ext2 root fs.

> Ubuntu apparently needs it to boot to ext2.

Really?! Usually ext2 and IDE disk are built in so no initrd is
needed.

> > This is only a temporary fix for your card reader to work. The old kernel
> is
> > still available. I will eventually provide a more permanent solution.
>
> Thanks a lot. I don't know why XP (2002) included my card when SW10.2 did
> not.

Actually, 10.2 might have, but I didn't realize that those mass storage
options were actually necessary for a card reader, so I answered 'N'
to them the first time.

Your card reader has an unusual device ID for a mass storage device,
which is why DOS cannot figure out how to handle it.

David