baslinux - Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 03:59:50 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005, David Moberg wrote:

On 11/18/05, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

David, in case other people have screwy storage devices, would you want to
compile a kernel to accept usb-storage as a module, and then only have to
recompile the module once in a while instead of the whole kernel (assuming
you are willing to provide this service to us dummies)?

http://us.share.geocities.com/davidjmoberg/usb2.gz (kernel) and
initrd.gz (initrd)

Make sure to use the initrd (with the initrd= option to loadlin) or it
will not boot.
You can still boot from IDE disk with the initrd, but it should also now be
possible to boot BL3 loop with this kernel and initrd.

If the kernel is zimage.usb2, is the following correct:

BL2 ext2 loadlin zimage.usb2 root=/dev/hdb2 ro initrd=initrd.gz
BL2 ramdisk root=/dev/ram rw initrd=initrd.gz
BL3 ext2 root=/dev/hdb1 rw initrd=initrd.gz
BL3 loop root=/dev/loop0 rw initrd=initrd.gz

What is initrd.gz doing? Why does regular BL use it for ramdisk and loop but not to boot to ext2? Ubuntu apparently needs it to boot to ext2.

This is only a temporary fix for your card reader to work. The old kernel is
still available. I will eventually provide a more permanent solution.

Thanks a lot. I don't know why XP (2002) included my card when SW10.2 did not.

David