baslinux - Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera

  • From: David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera
  • Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 15:01:26 -0800

On 11/16/05, David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/16/05, Ron Clarke <ariadne AT earthlink.com.au> wrote:
> > Accordingly, I downloaded and compiled (in SW9.1) libgphoto2, gphoto2 and
> > gtkam, and was able to access the photos (but not the movies) from SW9.1.
> >
> > Here's hoping that David's kernel makes it all a lot simpler.
>
> It won't. My kernel is only for usb-storage cameras, not PTP ones. I will
> try to
> figure out how to get Steven's kernel to work with a PTP camera and report
> back.

I just tested gphoto2 with Steven's zimage.p1 kernel. It works well, but
because Steven answered 'N' to usbdevfs support, you will need to
use a different usbcore module. Here is the procedure:

-Download one of Steven's 2.2.26 zimage kernels. Also download one
of usb-uhci, usb-ohci, or uhci.o. (Use lsmod in SW9 to figure out which
one to get.) Get the usbcore.o module from here:

http://us.share.geocities.com/davidjmoberg/usbcore.o.gz

-Boot BL with the zimage kernel
-insmod usbcore and the *hci module
-mkdir /dev/usb
-mount -t usbdevfs /dev/usb/ /dev/usb/
-run gphoto2 as usual

I did 'gphoto2 --auto-detect' and saw a generic PTP camera listed.
I then did 'gphoto2 -P' and it transferred the pictures to the current
directory.

I hope this helps.

David