baslinux - [BL] XP, was Re: mac

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] XP, was Re: mac
  • Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 15:52:47 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005, James Miller wrote:

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005, sindi keesan wrote:

I still cannot access my laptop computer with IE (on address line I put
192.168.1.46 - and got a 'not found'). What am I doing wrong?

Hard to say. Did you reboot and rerun udhcpc? If so, did it show
192.168.1.46 as the address the router's dhcp server was assigning to the
BL machine? Did you start httpd and, if so, from which directory? Did it
give any error messages? Can you ping 192.168.1.46 from the XP machine
(you can get to a c:\ prompt via a menu item buried in the program menu--I
forget the exact steps--or you can probably do a ping from Start > Run
ping 192.168.1.46)?

Where do you find 'run' on Windows XP? We are now in Vermont at a college library with XP and it is Start > Programs or Shutdown. The last friend's computer also had XP.

There is still this blasted problem of Enter taking you down a paragraph.

So I am typing everything at the end of the previous email.

I started httpd from the directory with the files to be transferred. I got another prompt, but ps showed that httpd was running. (mini-httpd acts differently, I forget how). No message at all.

We can try next time to find pseudo-DOS and 'ping' from there.

We are trying to set up an 83-year-old friend here with internet. We brought her a computer with Win98SE (so the senior center can help her with it) and Opera. usnetizen.com from Montana has local phone numbers in small towns all over the country and says they work with linux (though they cannot help you with it). $6/month for 30 hour service, 12-month prepay, with phone support. Well written webpage and webmail. First we tried our friend with sdf and pine and gave up. She is still learning to type and forgets what the Enter key is for. But the keyboard is a lot easier or her arthritic fingers than a typewriter. We have been training her in use of the mouse with Solitaire. I would normally have set her up with linux but we can't help with it as easily long distance.

It was a lot easier diagnosing the authentication problem with linux than with Windows. We plugged in the parport zip drive and booted with David's boot disk - works perfectly.

Thank you all for your many suggestions about how to make things work between 'foreign' OS'es and BL.

You can see our travel photos at keesan.freeshell.org/fall05 and /fall05b (and maybe eventually c and d). Uploaded via the laptop and ethernet cable to DSL router, thanks to help from list members.

Sindi (and Jim)