baslinux - Re: [BL] XP, was Re: mac

  • From: "David Lane" <Jaypooh3 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] XP, was Re: mac
  • Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 12:23:10 -0400

>Where do you find 'run' on Windows XP? We are now in >Vermont at a college
>library with XP and it is Start > Programs or Shutdown. The >last friend's
>computer also had XP.

Sindi,

WinXP,being a network OS,like Win2K, has security features.It''s not unusual
for a library to implement as part of their security policy a removal of the
"run" command.With the run command,Windows and their network would be an
open book to the right person.You and I could use it with restraint but
there are those that wouldn't.It's absence from the menu means they hid it
for their security.My place of work does the same thing, they KNOW we could
be dangerous.It simply means you can't use that computer for that purpose.
A NOTE:For the same reason a lot of floppy drives and CD-ROM drives are
disabled or set to copy-only as well.Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

David Lane