baslinux - Re: [BL] XP, was Re: mac

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] XP, was Re: mac
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:11:02 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005, sindi keesan wrote:

I know this is not list-related but we need a quick fix. We deleted IE
from WIn98SE to save space, and then discovered Win98 needs it to view the
photos we finally got onto the computer (downloaded to Bl3 on laptop via
pcmcia adaptor when the parport adaptor would not work on this desktop),
then parallel cable transfer). How do we set Windows to use a different
viewer? Opera lets you set it as default but it keeps crashing in
Preferences. We had to download Firefox to use this webmail but I can't
find a way to set it as default image viewer. We have DOS pictview and
cshow - but I forgot how to change default viewer. We need a QUICK fix as
we are leaving yesterday morning, in theory.

The way to change the default app associated with a file extension in Windows is to open Windows Explorer (the file mgr) and go to (I believe) View > Options and then select the "File Types" tab. There will be a list of file extensions there and a way to add any that are not already listed. You can also modify the default programs for dealing with file extensions. Btw, a web browser makes a _very poor_ image viewer. It will only display the image at the resolution the image was taken at which, if it's larger than the resolution on the person's computer can result in a confusing display (they might be looking at a corner of the image only, then needing to scroll around to see the whole thing--not very workable). There are Freeware and even open source image viewers for Windows. Irfanview comes to mind. I'd recommend downloading one of those for image viewing for that person. http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=24099&package_id=47692&release_id=282527
That looks like imagemagick for Windows. http://osswin.sourceforge.net/ is a good site for finding open source progs for Windows.

James