baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: Weather report

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: Weather report
  • Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 11:53:12 +1200

Stephen Clement wrote:

> >A temporary kludge at best. For such limited
> >functionality from mplayer, we can surely find
> >something *much* smaller.
> >
> I dare you to find something that can play

It doesn't play. The mplayer kludge writes a wav
file that you need something else to play.

> RealAudio/Video, Windows Media Player, etc.
> that is free (as in both freedom and price),
> works on Linux

Sure, the fully-functional mplayer is wonderful.
It does lots and lots of things. But I was talking
about the kludge. It seems silly to me to use a
huge executable simply to input streaming audio and
output wav files (which is all the mplayer kludge
does).

> and is smaller than David's MPlayer.

For the very limited functionality of the kludge,
I'm sure that something smaller could can be found.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru