baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: KDE on BL2

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT earthlink.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: KDE on BL2
  • Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 08:28:57 +1000

Hi Folks,

On Fri, 13 May 2005 01:21:48 +0000 (UTC)
sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 13 May 2005, Ron Clarke wrote:

> > I have IceWM, KDE, Gnome and Enlightenment all available on different
> > user accounts in BL2.
> > It took a lot of downloading, but it finally all worked.
>
> Is there any advantage you know of to using KDE?

Not KDE as such, just that there are some programs and utilities that come
with it and need the support libraries and functions. Gnumeric comes tomind
as an example. I find KDE rather over-engineered as a desktop, but it may
appeal if you are coming from Win9x.

> I know that some programs need gtk files to display, so GNOME might
> simplify using them.

Yes, both KDE and Gnome are pre-configured to use or, make available, the
stuff that comes with them.
They are more complicated than IceWM to add your own stuff to.

What is Enlightenment?

Much the same, but with more graphic effects and eye candy.

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Clarke