baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: Weather report

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: Weather report
  • Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 14:17:44 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 14 May 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

Stephen Clement wrote:

A temporary kludge at best. For such limited
functionality from mplayer, we can surely find
something *much* smaller.

I dare you to find something that can play

It doesn't play. The mplayer kludge writes a wav
file that you need something else to play.

Is there something else available to convert mp3, realaudio, wmp, and ogg to wav files and create a buffer?

RealAudio/Video, Windows Media Player, etc.
that is free (as in both freedom and price),
works on Linux

Sure, the fully-functional mplayer is wonderful.
It does lots and lots of things. But I was talking
about the kludge. It seems silly to me to use a
huge executable simply to input streaming audio and
output wav files (which is all the mplayer kludge
does).

The alternatives are larger - Realplayer and Xine - and they won't even work for me.

and is smaller than David's MPlayer.

For the very limited functionality of the kludge,
I'm sure that something smaller could can be found.
Let us know what you find. I will use this in the meantime.