baslinux - Re: Weather report (was: [BL] MPlayer)

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Weather report (was: [BL] MPlayer)
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 16:35:58 +0000 (UTC)

Now that you see some utility in using linux for sound,
would you want to provide a small sound-capable kernel

I think the bare.i kernel is best for people wanting
something extra (like sound or firewalling or wireless).
Bare.i covers all the bases (including CONFIG NET_RADIO).

As it is, mplayer only works on PIIs and above, so our
current fascination with sound is only marginally relevant
to our target hardware.

No, mplayer second version also works on my PI's but it needs a later kernel and ALSA to actually play sound. However David came up with a nice script in which mplayer converts the sound to .wav and sox plays it as streaming audio. I have used it on my PI to play ogg, mp3, realaudio, and one wmp file (I managed to find one but the .asx files don't usually seem to contain a URL). Second version is currently posted and I posted David's script http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/mplay with a description of it /.../bl/blfiles.htm

I made my own.

Me too. You get the best performance from Linux by compiling
a kernel precisely configured for your hardware.

but it supports only the few ethernet cards that I have,
and I made a few other changes to it. Pentium only.

My sound kernel is PII only (to match my hardware).

Feel free to try mine for playing sound on a PI. Same location as above, zimage.ss. I just compiled zimage.ssz which I will post, which should work with imm.o zip drives. (I left it out last time).