baslinux - [BL] Re: Weather report

  • From: Stephen Clement <s.clement AT sympatico.ca>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Re: Weather report
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 18:39:47 -0400

3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

No, mplayer second version also works on my PI's

I thought that version didn't work properly?

Neither did I.

but it needs a later kernel and ALSA to actually play sound.

Making it less relevant to BasicLinux.

Ah, but the script is what makes it quite very relevant.

However David came up with a nice script in which mplayer converts the sound to .wav and sox plays it as streaming audio.

A temporary kludge at best. For such limited functionality from mplayer, we can surely find something *much* smaller.

I dare you to find something that can play RealAudio/Video, Windows Media Player, etc. that is free (as in both freedom and price), works on Linux and is smaller than David's MPlayer.

Stephen Clement