baslinux - Re: [BL] MPlayer

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] MPlayer
  • Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 18:40:56 +0000 (UTC)

A friend says the 300 and 350 MHz AMD cpus, even in a super socket
7, are i686 and ought to work with your first mplayer and that any
board which can go over 233 MHz is 686.

I think that the Pentium MMX 266 and lower are merely i586. I know
that all other Intels 233 or higher are 686s.

But what is an AMD K6 350MHz? It did not work with the first mplayer you compiled. In super socket 7. Did your version actually require Intel? That may determine where we put the DVD drive. I am not at that computer right now but how would I check if it is equivalent to i686 intel?

The first version required i686, I think. That would've been the problem.

Are you saying that the problem is the AMD, or the super socket 7?

Is i686 an INTEL brand cpu, rather than a speed over 266? Our currently four fastest cpus are all AMD (266, 300, 350, 475). I have to check the 500, 600 and 750 for AMD vs Intel if I need Intel.

And I could paste the URL in with gpm (or screen once I figure out how). I had Realplayer8 in linux working with links on one computer, but I can't think of a way to coordinate mplayer with links or lynx since I first need to extract the URL from files of various formats such as .pls or .m3u or whatever is used by realaudio and windows-media. I bet Steven or you could come up with some script that looks for things starting in http:// or pnm:// or rstp:// (?) and cuts off anything preceding, except that some of these little files have TWO URLs in them with words in between.

(I'm guessing you meant me when you said Steven)
Either Steven or Stephen. Perhaps one of you could be 'Steve'?

#!/bin/sh
wget -q $1 -O /tmp/urlfile && sed -e 's/http:\/\//WORKShttp:\/\//g' -e 's/rstp:\/\//WORKSrstp:\/\//g' -e 's/pnm:\/\//^WORKSpnm:\/\//g' /tmp/urlfile |grep WORKS |sed -e 's/WORKS//g'

With this it will automatically fetch the file and search out the URL's. Getting it to automatically play is beyond the use of this script, however.

There may be other URL formats besides pnm and rstp and http - ftp? Could it look for the first (or maybe the last) string with :// and cut off
the first space before that string and preceding characters, and the space after that string and following characters? These strings all seem to be ???:/ or ????://

The URL ends up as /tmp/urlfile? I don't know how I would incorporate this in a browser but I will experiment.

I will try to hear the difference once I find a 20K OGG broadcast.
All the formats I have tried sound infinitely better than listening to radio broadcasts from 60-75 miles away, even at 20K, though this is supposed to be less than FM quality I think (is that 64K?).

Yes, FM quality is supposedly 64K. Also, I will say too that I find OGG to be superior.