baslinux - Re: [BL] MPlayer

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] MPlayer
  • Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 02:40:04 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 7 May 2005, David Moberg wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

What does fg do? I don't find it as a program but if I type fg it
tries to play a previously accessed station (Audio: no sound).

Hit Ctrl+Z if you're running a foreground program. Your shell will
say something like "[1]+ Stopped". If you type bg, that program
will go into the background. fg again will move it to the
foreground once more. lynx/links are examples of foreground
programs.

If I try with the fg; fg, the last thing I see on the screen is
something about no input.conf and it uses the default, then no
sound.

Is play running in the other VT during all of this?

ps says mplayer, sox, and play are running.

What does "jobs" say?

Nothing. which jobs - no jobs in .......
What is jobs?

If I remove the & and everything following it, your method works:

mkfifo audiodump.wav
mplayer -ao pcm http: (or pnm: etc.) WITHOUT & or fg
switch vt's
play audiodump.wav - the file is 4096 not 0 now and stays that size.

I probably misunderstood very clear directions for use and left in the &.
If I type Ctrl-Z mplayer stops doing anything, fg brings it back.

Play audiodump.wav & does not play either, works without the &.
If I start running out of terminals I will use 'screen' to make ten terminals out of one.

I am getting lovely sound quality from wdav now. I have only a 4K .wav file but no skips. It sounds far better than the radio. Mplayer said something about a cache - maybe that is acting to buffer the file before it gets into the .wav file. Player is telling me
A: 6:52.3 (time elapsed) 3% 15%
The 3% went down to 2.9% and the 15 alternates with 16 and 17.

On a previous occasion the middle figure was 92% and rising - is this something to do with buffering or lost clusters? You did not include docs for mplayer.

ps now tells me there are five copies of mplayer running.

I killed them all and started over, and after I started playing I again have five copies running. Sizes about 8K, three are State T and two state S. I have one copy of sox and none of mpg123 or play. The same process numbers keep coming back except for the last two copies of mplayer.

The second to last is taking up 3% of cpu and the others 0%, but they are all taking up about 1-1.5% of memory.

If I kill the first three it keeps playing. If it kill the fourth it stops. The fourth is the one at the top of the list in 'top'. What are the others doing?

Sox is using 1.3% of cpu and 0.4 % of memory. What else besides compiling and gzipping uses more cpu? Image manipulation?

Have you tried this method with mkfifo?

Yes. It works here.

If I use mkfifo, ps tells me there are two copies of mplayer
running, otherwise just one.

Now five copies. Odd.

For some reason this 200MHz computer (which I think came with this cpu in the board, set to its maximum speed of 200MHz), is identified by mplayer as AMD K6 324.0 MHz (Family: 5, Stepping; 2). dmesg tells me the computer has a 200461 KHz processor. I think the cpu was also labelled that way, or we looked up its number to get the speed.

A friend says the 300 and 350 MHz AMD cpus, even in a super socket 7, are i686 and ought to work with your first mplayer and that any board which can go over 233 MHz is 686.