baslinux - Re: [BL] MPlayer

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] MPlayer
  • Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 16:27:48 +0000 (UTC)

To use mplayer via the audiodump.wav file method, in order not to tie up two terminals, I was able to use the 'screen' program (from SW81, needs the SW81 ncurses and glibc), which by default provides 10 'windows' or screens per terminal.

Install programs, type screen and space bar to get past the message.

Create a window with Ctrl-A C (C-a C in their terminology)
cd /tmp, mkfifo audiodump.wav

Then run mplayer -ao pcm http:/(URL for mp3, ra, or wm)

Ctrl-A C, in this second window run play audiodump.wav

Ctrl-A C, in the third window ppp-on (to connect via modem)

Sometimes hitting a stray key (I cannot figure out what I did just now) puts you into another window. To switch windows properly:
Ctrl-A 1 (first windows) or 2 (second window).

Kill a window with Ctrl-A K (and answer yes)

I can copy and paste in pico but have not got it to work yet in lynx, so that I can copy and paste URLs directly.
Ctrl-A [ copy
h (left) j (down) k (up) l (right) to move (vi keys)
Ctrl-A Enter - set start mark
Move with keys (or do a search forward or backwards for some string which I got into accidentally but there is a Ctrl-A code for it)
Ctrl-A Enter - set end mark
move to where you want to copy (the 'window' where you are running mplayer)
Ctrl-A ] to paste

I have not actually gotten this far and may not have it quite right, but I can also Ctrl-A C to make yet another screen in which to read the man page, which is barely comprehensible to me in parts.

Another option is splitvt, which comes with a SW71 package and runs two programs on variable-sized windows in one terminal and also lets you copy (also tricky to figure out at first since they don't mention that you use hjkl to move, but at least fewer options to remember.) This will tie up one terminal for mplayer and play, rather than two.

'All keys not described here exit copy mode.' This explains a few things.

There is supposed to also be a way to copy between actual terminals.

Anyway, I am playing some Schubert and writing this email at sdf in the same screen, though I still use paper and pen to copy URLs.

I temporarily gave up and used gpm to copy a realaudio URL but I was 'unable to open URL' when I pasted in the pnm URL and then when I tried the rtsp instead:

Requested audio codec family [racook] (afm=realaud) not available.
Enable it at compilation.
Requested audio codec family [racookwin] (afm=realaud) not available.
Enable it at compilation.
Requested audio codec family [racookmac] (afm=realaud) not available.
Enable it at compilation.
Cannot find codec for audio format 0x6B6F6F63.
Read DOCS/HTML/en/codecs.html!

So mplayer can't handle this realplayer format for some reason. What is afm? I presume it looks for three variants by name and then by number. Is this something I can add later or must it be compiled in?