baslinux - Re: Weather report (was: [BL] MPlayer)

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Weather report (was: [BL] MPlayer)
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 02:23:14 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 10 May 2005, Ron Clarke wrote:

Hi Sindi,

On Tue, 10 May 2005 00:44:24 +0000 (UTC)
sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

On Tue, 10 May 2005, Ron Clarke wrote:
And it is cold and foggy this morning (7.00 am) in Victoria, Australia.
Nearly at the end of autumn.

What counts as cold in Australia?

Depends where in Oz you live. In north Queensland, I guess below 20 degrees
C would be on the chilly side.
In the alps, cold is below freezing.

Last night here went down to about 2 degrees centipede. It will rise to 18 degrees today (forcast). I find that cold, and we will have a fire going all day.

Do you time how long it takes the centipedes to go two centimeters?
We are having similar temperatures here, if you measure in centigrade, and finding it summerlike. People are out in shorts.

Ogg sounds better to my ears, also.
Ogg uses a variable bitrate, higher for multi-voiced music, lower for single
instrument or voice-only.

How variable, considering the download speed is pretty constant? For
instance would it vary from 20K to 30K depending on number of voices?

The "file" will surely download at the same (almost constant ?) speed. The "playing time" will be transfering elastically, I suspect.

Good to have a buffer to even out the performance of the player.

I will try setting a larger buffer than 320K if OGG files don't sound right. It seems that music with more voices will require more bandwidth to download.

I just found another site (something like classicalarchives.com) where you can listen to most of the works of Bach, among others, at 28K streaming MP3 (5 free a day) or if you pay $25/year, nearly unlimited downloads of those and 128-160K MP3s. Also MIDI files, for which I don't have linux set up yet (unless mplayer also does MIDI).

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Clarke