baslinux - Re: [BL] MPlayer

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] MPlayer
  • Date: Sat, 07 May 2005 14:39:27 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> > It may be best to do everything manually:
> >
> > 1) In VT1, mkfifo audiodump.wav
> > 2) Still in VT1, mplayer -ao pcm http://(URL of streaming mp3)
> > 3) Switch to VT2 and play audiodump.wav
> >
> > You can automate this once you verify that it works.
>
> This is what I am doing, except I had to leave out the mkfifo line
> because otherwise nothing writes to the .wav file, it stays at 0
> size.

The mkfifo line is what keeps the file from growing huge.

> I do not have an 'fg' on this computer either.

It's not a binary. It's usually built into your shell.

> The FIFO .wav file did not get larger than 0 bytes. Do I need to
> set it up differently, specifying the maximum size somehow?

No. That's what is supposed to happen.

> >> I see at the end of the screen:
> >>
> >> Starting playback...
> >> mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 62 bits!
> >> A: 5:40.2 (the time?) 93.5% 0%
> >>

> >> But ps says I am using sox, not mpg123.
> >
> > Perhaps MPlayer uses mpg123 if it exists?
> Maybe, but it appeared to be using sox/play.

I meant for decoding an mp3. It doesn't say mpg123
when it's playing something else, does it?

> Are you also sitting inside all afternoon on the nicest day in May?

No. I need to mow the lawn today. Unfortunately, it's not the nicest
day in May in all of the world. :|

David
once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com