baslinux - Re: [BL] MPlayer

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] MPlayer
  • Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 18:36:36 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 7 May 2005, David Moberg wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

What can I do to play streaming mp3 or ram files without creating a
very large audiodump.wav?

Try:

mkfifo audiodump.wav
mplayer -ao pcm http://(URL of streaming mp3) & play audiodump.wav & fg; fg

Just a note about this: This was tried with bash. Ash may handle
jobs differently. I will test with ash if you don't beat me to it.

mplayer does not seem to write to the audiodump.wav file made with mkfifo (which is not busybox).

I just figured out that at this location I have the older version
of mplayer which tells me 'illegal instruction'. I may rename it
and then experiment with the newer one and the above suggestion but
it will be a 20 minute download. Or wait and try this version on
the newer computers when they are put together.

This should work with either version.

Not on my PI, which won't work with the first version.

Do I understand correctly that this older version will work on a
PII with kernel 2.2.16 and SB16 and OSS, but the newer version
needs ALSA and a newer kernel?

Yes. The older version was compiled without runtime CPU detection
on glibc, which allows it to work with 2.2.16, but only on a PII.
I tried to compile it with runtime CPU detection, but I seem to
have broken my glibc development environment, so I cannot compile
against glibc now. The current version was built against uClibc,
which invokes the bug with 2.2.16.

I will try on a PII some time soon. Or maybe get the SW81 bare.i and all the sound kernels to match and try that some time. I hope you get your compiler fixed soon. I messed mine up really thoroughly one time and had to reinstall linux, when I mixed glibc versions (older full library, newer so library).

David

NEW! Lycos Dating Search. The only place to search multiple
dating sites at once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com