baslinux - Re: [BL] MPlayer

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] MPlayer
  • Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 18:33:48 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 6 May 2005, David Moberg wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

If you just want MPlayer to decode things for you, you can use

mplayer -ao pcm

which will dump the output to audiodump.wav which sox should be able
to play.

The above is because the most recently compiled mplayer does not
actually play sounds but it does make a .wav file.

It does not play sounds with Linux 2.2.16 and Vibra16. Did you try
this with any other sound cards? With ALSA, it works fine here.

But I cannot combine the two of them in a pipe (play complains if I
try).

MPlayer's -aofile option appears to not be able to handle the "-"
stdout synonym.

What can I do to play streaming mp3 or ram files without creating a
very large audiodump.wav?

Try:

mkfifo audiodump.wav
mplayer -ao pcm http://(URL of streaming mp3) & play audiodump.wav & fg; fg

I tried various combinations (using the latest compiled mplayer, which now installs properly) and if I mkfifo audiodump.wav, mplayer does not seem to write anything to audiodump.wav (I have a 0 file) though it says something about filling a cache.

If I just type in the part before the & and then play audiodump.wav (which I did now) it plays just fine but my file keeps getting larger. I will try this on realaudio some time. We are going to work on the 600 and 750MHz models now instead.

I started the play only about 30 sec after I started mplayer, and it is still playing a few minutes later, so as long as I have lots of free hard drive space I will be okay, but wav files are large. I am already at 18MB in 5 minutes. 60 minutes would be 200MB. I suppose I could delete and restart at the end of each piece.

I see at the end of the screen:

Starting playback...
mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 62 bits!
A: 5:40.2 (the time?) 93.5% 0%

But ps says I am using sox, not mpg123.

I will try this on a realaudio file next (same URL harvesting technique as for mp3 files).