baslinux - Re: [BL] MPlayer

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] MPlayer
  • Date: Sat, 07 May 2005 13:28:28 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> >> What can I do to play streaming mp3 or ram files without creating a
> >> very large audiodump.wav?
> >
> > Try:
> >
> > mkfifo audiodump.wav
> > mplayer -ao pcm http://(URL of streaming mp3) & play audiodump.wav & fg;
> > fg

Just a note about this: This was tried with bash. Ash may handle
jobs differently. I will test with ash if you don't beat me to it.

> I just figured out that at this location I have the older version
> of mplayer which tells me 'illegal instruction'. I may rename it
> and then experiment with the newer one and the above suggestion but
> it will be a 20 minute download. Or wait and try this version on
> the newer computers when they are put together.

This should work with either version.

> Do I understand correctly that this older version will work on a
> PII with kernel 2.2.16 and SB16 and OSS, but the newer version
> needs ALSA and a newer kernel?

Yes. The older version was compiled without runtime CPU detection
on glibc, which allows it to work with 2.2.16, but only on a PII.
I tried to compile it with runtime CPU detection, but I seem to
have broken my glibc development environment, so I cannot compile
against glibc now. The current version was built against uClibc,
which invokes the bug with 2.2.16.

David