baslinux - Re: [BL] MPlayer

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] MPlayer
  • Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 19:02:33 +0000 (UTC)

Try:

mkfifo audiodump.wav
mplayer -ao pcm http://(URL of streaming mp3) & play audiodump.wav & fg; fg

I tried various combinations (using the latest compiled mplayer, which now installs properly) and if I mkfifo audiodump.wav, mplayer does not seem to write anything to audiodump.wav (I have a 0 file) though it says something about filling a cache.

If I just type in the part before the & and then play audiodump.wav (which I did now) it plays just fine but my file keeps getting larger. I will try this on realaudio some time.

mplayer -ao pcm pnm://real.toad.net/wbjc.ra (I should add &)
play audiodump.wav (on another vt)

This works, and I just need to remember to delete audiodump.wav once in a while (when they talk between pieces) and start over. No gaps at all. It started by making a cache.

Will this also play Windows Media Player?

I found the url from www.broadcast-live.com/classical, which lists Realplayer and Windows Media Player stations. Most of the RP ones are 56K but some are 28K.

I get the impression that this 28K RA broadcast is leaving me more bandwidth to actually type in than the 24K MP3 broadcasts as played with MPG123. And the buffering helps a lot.

Now to can find something other than NY Met Opera (which I can get three copies of locally). classical-webcast.com has Europe section.

I can also play Windows Media Player files, which come in 20K or faster.

mms://streampower.belgacom.be/klaralow

This sounds like a fire engine but is probably music since there is a percussion section too. The same station is also broadcast in MP3.
Good chance to learn Flemish except they just started an interview in English. The Czech station is now 56K Realaudio.

Not a skip yet, in any format.

I think Mplayer also does OGG but stations which broadcast that also broadcast some other format. Is there some advantage to OGG over MP3?

Despite the big dump file, this is infinitely nicer to use than Realaudio or Xine.

Thanks, Sindi