baslinux - Re: [BL] MPlayer

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] MPlayer
  • Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 17:53:22 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 6 May 2005, David Moberg wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

If you just want MPlayer to decode things for you, you can use

mplayer -ao pcm

which will dump the output to audiodump.wav which sox should be able
to play.

The above is because the most recently compiled mplayer does not
actually play sounds but it does make a .wav file.

It does not play sounds with Linux 2.2.16 and Vibra16. Did you try
this with any other sound cards? With ALSA, it works fine here.

I tried on a Creative SB16 with 2.2.16. I have no idea how to use ALSA, only OSS which Christof set up for BLs.

I don't have any computers using later kernels and modules. Today we hope to put together the 600 and 750MHz computers and try your first Mplayer on them (if I still have it here).

But I cannot combine the two of them in a pipe (play complains if I
try).

MPlayer's -aofile option appears to not be able to handle the "-"
stdout synonym.
Yes, I tried with and without -.

What can I do to play streaming mp3 or ram files without creating a
very large audiodump.wav?

Try:

mkfifo audiodump.wav
mplayer -ao pcm http://(URL of streaming mp3) & play audiodump.wav & fg; fg

I just figured out that at this location I have the older version of mplayer which tells me 'illegal instruction'. I may rename it and then experiment with the newer one and the above suggestion but it will be a 20 minute download. Or wait and try this version on the newer computers when they are put together.

Do I understand correctly that this older version will work on a PII with kernel 2.2.16 and SB16 and OSS, but the newer version needs ALSA and a newer kernel?