baslinux - Re: [BL] MPlayer

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] MPlayer
  • Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 22:40:21 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> > If you just want MPlayer to decode things for you, you can use
> >
> > mplayer -ao pcm
> >
> > which will dump the output to audiodump.wav which sox should be able
> > to play.
> >

> The above is because the most recently compiled mplayer does not
> actually play sounds but it does make a .wav file.

It does not play sounds with Linux 2.2.16 and Vibra16. Did you try
this with any other sound cards? With ALSA, it works fine here.

> But I cannot combine the two of them in a pipe (play complains if I
> try).

MPlayer's -aofile option appears to not be able to handle the "-"
stdout synonym.

> What can I do to play streaming mp3 or ram files without creating a
> very large audiodump.wav?

Try:

mkfifo audiodump.wav
mplayer -ao pcm http://(URL of streaming mp3) & play audiodump.wav & fg; fg