baslinux - Re: [BL] running Basic Linux from a USB data stick or from a CD-ROM

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] running Basic Linux from a USB data stick or from a CD-ROM
  • Date: Sat, 07 May 2005 11:06:49 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: 4llh-3os6 AT disposable.spamcon.org

> If you want to use linux on PDA as i.e. BL3 on PC
> (receiving,sending emails, writing some texts),
> except Linux-native PDAs like Sharp Zaurus, Yopy etc.
> you can do it on Compaq iPAQ and on PSION 5 Series.
>
> As for Palm 3, linux kernel 2.0.39 (a modified
> version done by uCLibc team if I recollect properly)
> runs on it. But you can't use Linux on Palm
> for everyday tasks - there are many very basic
> problems not solved. I.e.: "How to enter chars?"
>
> Palm 3 is keyboard-less machine (you should
> thanks Apple Newton's creator who said:
> "Keyboard in Newton is useless").
>
> Grafitti, On-Screen keyboard work on Palm OS but
> noone ported them to Linux yet.

Depends on your definition of ported. :) In the uClinux
configuration there is an option for support for the
PalmIII's touch screen. This is in the Linux
configuration. In the Nano-X portion, there appears to
be nano-X support for the Palm TS (touch screen).
Whether this actually works is up for debate, but the
code looks pretty good. I've been unable to test it,
as my Zire would not even boot the standard uClinux
kernel. Once you get that going, though, there are
on-screen keyboard apps and basic handwriting
recognition.

> Currently you can connect Palm 3 running linux kernel
> to PC serial port trough HotSync and use PC keyboard
> to enter chars. (Of course PC must be turned on and
> running some terminal program).

I'm sure that there is some solution that could be
hacked up.

> Chris

David

> --
> Vim is enough for me.

Heh, heh. I learned the vi commands because I was tired
of not being able to edit anything with most distributions.
I wish more would bundle e3 as their minimal editor.
once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com