baslinux - Re: [BL] framebuffer kernel with matroxfb module

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] framebuffer kernel with matroxfb module
  • Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 22:45:59 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> > You will need to recompute the timings. I will send you an example
> > fbset.conf after I have made it. The timings will be based upon
> > XFree86.
>
> What are timings for? Can I find them online somewhere?

Actually fb.modes. They are needed to choose different geometries
of display.

I found a copy online:

http://www.risacher.org/pfl/template/etc/fb.modes

Copy to /etc/fb.modes. You should then be able to do for example
fbset "1024x768-60" if your monitor supports it. fbset -depth 16
will improve the color depth.

> > According to fbcon-cfb4.c itself, it is "Low level frame buffer
> > operations for 4 bpp packed pixels". About the only other thing that I
> > know is that the Linux console works with exactly 16 colors. Even with
> > framebuffer, 16 colors are all that are available. To access more,
> > a piece of software needs to write directly to the /dev/fb device,
> > instead of relying upon the basic TTY escape codes.
>
> So why am I getting 8-bit color depth as default? At least that is
> what happens in X with xfbdev, and what is reported when I insmod
> matroxfb.

Why not?

> What do I do with cfb2 after insmodding it? In order to run the
> matrox at more than 8-bit color with fbset, do I also need the 8,
> 16, 24 and 32 modules?

I'm really not sure. Does fbset -depth work without it?
once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com