baslinux - Re: [BL] SVGA Xserver

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] SVGA Xserver
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 08:14:54 +1200

sindi keesan wrote:

> Default mouse is still 2button serial.

As I said, the included /etc/XF86Config is simply a
copy of the one that works on my system. My mouse
is a 2-button serial.

I expect most users will do their own configuration
by running xf86config (or by editing the existing
/etc/XF86Config).

> Also could you include # 1024 resolution or is that
> specific to each card?

My monitor is not capable of doing 1024.

> Could I edit the config file to remove 800x600 for
> a computer with monochrome screen and 640x480 resolution,

Yes. Don't worry about the Modelines; just remove the
"800x600" from the "Screen" Modes.

> Maybe you could eventually write up a simple script to
> edit the config file to change just mouse and max resolution
> and colors, as for Xvesa.

The current Xvesa is the simple option. Installing
and configuring a full Xserver is more demanding
(because some parameters are hardware specific).
xf86config is the appropriate tool for that job.

> xf86config took me three days to get right each time.

The critical values are HorizSync and Vert Refresh.
When you find ones that work on a monitor, write
them on a sticker and attach it to the monitor.

BTW, /etc/XF86Config has nothing to do with kernels
or libraries. So, if you have used the same hardware
with BL2 (or other version of Linux), you can copy
that /etc/XF86Config to BL3. As long as you have
the right Xserver installed, you should be OK.

> Xvesa lets me choose resolution and color depth each
> time I use it - 640 for viewing our photos, 1024 to
> view wide websites.

A full Xserver will let you change resolution on the
fly (by pressing CTRL-ALT-+) or use the screen as a
moveable window on a much larger virtual screen.

> This server is, unfortunately, nearly 4 times the size
> of Xvesa, even without including fonts

the extra fonts are less than 10kb.

> Not suitable for a 2-floppy linux.

It was never meant to be.

> I wonder if someone knowledgeable could write a
> smaller version of it.

That's what Xvesa is.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru