baslinux - Re: [BL] SVGA Xserver

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] SVGA Xserver
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 21:41:15 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 3 May 2005, David Moberg wrote:

> [...]

I was looking at the file Steven provided, which has modelines only for
640 and 480. On another computer I have the config file that I got
working with a Virge card that shoudl have the other modelines.

> > I will see if the modelines settings change when I change video cards.
>
> They shouldn't. Modelines are based on the geometry of the monitor, and
> most modern video cards will support all of the defaults. Most monitors
> will also handle the defaults.

So I should figure out the lowest frequencies for a 1024, and use those.

> > In order to view things at higher magnification, I think I would also want
> > to start with a virtual screen (say 1600, of which I could view only 1024)
> > and scroll around in it. If I set up with 1600 etc., is there some way to
> > specify 1024 as the first resolution and then change to 1600 with
> > Ctrl-Alt-minus?
>
> I think this:
>
> Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "1600x1200"
>
> Or would you prefer to have 1600x1200 as the second option, instead of
> 800x600?

Let's assume my monitor does only 1024. Some do more.

> This will only work if your monitor/graphics card combination can actually
> handle 1600x1200. There is another option which allows you to have a window
> of 1024x768 on a 1600x1200 desktop, but you can't change to 1600x1200. I'll
> look it up if you'd like.

That is more like it, but can I have a virtual desktop of 2000 or so?

> > I am looking for a way to actually read pdf files with
> > ghostscript in X, because it would not compile for svgalib.
>
> Why didn't it? Did configure not find svgalib?

It refused to compile, I forget why. It would compile for X but not svga
or even vga (which the SW71 gs supports, though not as default). The SW81
gs does not provide svga or vga either. I selected them as devices but
could not get it to compile even with lots of help. I had problems
compiling jasper first, and we had to edit one file so it would not look
for Windows. So I gave up and compiled for X as the only display device.

> > I am not quite sure what I am talking about - is a virtual screen the way
> > to be able to magnify a file? Maybe a virtual screen of more than 1600?
>
> I offered some other magnification options earlier. This operates on the
> whole screen at once, instead of just part of it.

I need some way to zoom and the virtual desktop might do it. I need to
actually see all the dots in something scanned at 300 dpi, and if my
monitor is 12" across that would be 3600 dots, so I need a virtual
desktop.

> > > I will probably prefer KDrive for now, based on the filesize.
> > Kdrive being xfbdev? It won't do 8-bit color.
>
> Xfbdev or Xvesa. I use 16-bit or higher, ordinarily.

But not all video chips will do more than 8-bit color, esp. laptops. That
is the main problem with Xvesa or xfbdev.

> > It is the older cards that are not usable with Xvesa and
> > links2 or abiword, which need 8-bit or more.
>
> So full-sized X is probably necessary for those. The extra
> bytes are likely taken by the calls necessary to do VESA
> 1.2, which is much more primitive than VESA 2.0

Yes, and XSVGA may or may not work on those two laptops. I will try out
Steven's package on them some time this week, at 640 res.

Xvesa works with Vesa 1.2 just fine. 8-bit color is the problem.