baslinux - Re: [BL] SVGA Xserver

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] SVGA Xserver
  • Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 20:52:58 +1200

sindi keesan wrote:

> I thought you said this was going to be a package
> for use with XSVGA server

No, I said I was using the XSVGA server for my
particular video card. You need to use the
Xserver that's designed for your card.

> and that this server would work with any VESA
> video card.

No, the SVGA Xserver works only for some cards.
S3 cards, for example, use the S3 Xserver.

> Did you set it for a low-end monitor and 1MB card?

It currently has my settings: 800x600x8 and 640x480x8.
But you can change it to whatever you like.

> Can you explain briefly how you did the default
> configuration?

I ran xf86config and input the parameters for my
card and monitor (which are both pretty low-end).

> Does your package include libraries needed by a
> standard server that are not needed by Xvesa?

It includes everything required (except for the
Xserver package itself). I've just done the
following and it works fine:
unzip a fresh BL3
boot it
pkg no-vesa.tgz