baslinux - Re: [BL] SVGA Xserver

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] SVGA Xserver
  • Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 16:11:36 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 1 May 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

I thought you said this was going to be a package
for use with XSVGA server

No, I said I was using the XSVGA server for my
particular video card. You need to use the
Xserver that's designed for your card.

and that this server would work with any VESA
video card.

No, the SVGA Xserver works only for some cards.
S3 cards, for example, use the S3 Xserver.

But I accidentally used the XVGA X server when I changed from SiS to S3 Virge and it is working just fine. So I was wondering if it would work for most cards, tho possibly not give as many modes or something.
I may experiment some time with this - I have lots of video cards.
Could I possibly mess up the software irretrievably if I set up for SVGA server and fed it S3's, Cirrus, ATI, etc.?

And would this package also work in BL2, where I have Xvesa working but did not install all the packages recommended for other servers (just the minimum until Xvesa worked).

>> Did you set it for a low-end monitor and 1MB card?

It currently has my settings: 800x600x8 and 640x480x8.
But you can change it to whatever you like.
That should work for abiword and links2.

Can you explain briefly how you did the default
configuration?

I ran xf86config and input the parameters for my
card and monitor (which are both pretty low-end).

Does your package include libraries needed by a
standard server that are not needed by Xvesa?

It includes everything required (except for the
Xserver package itself). I've just done the
following and it works fine:
unzip a fresh BL3
boot it
pkg no-vesa.tgz
pkg xsvga.tgz
startx

BL3 already comes with most of the needed libraries, I think, because it is running Xvesa. Your package was pretty small, just the config program and config file and a startx (all set for 800x600x256 colors) but I see also a fonts.dir and fonts/misc/cursor.pcf.gz and /fonts/misc/clR6x13.pcf.gz - are these things that Xvesa provides built-in but SVGA server does not? (Xvesa comes with fonts but you also added a few). Also what is /X11/rgb.txt? (I am looking at the .tgz with links).

On my laptop with the 4-color Xvesa, most of the DOS programs also won't display properly. Compushow works with the Chips and Technology video as 'Paradise'. Does the card have to be VESA 1.2 for SVGA X server?
It ought to work, I hope, on the greyscale laptop, which goes only to 256 'colors'.