baslinux - Re: [BL] SVGA Xserver

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] SVGA Xserver
  • Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 21:46:55 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> yOn Tue, 3 May 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:
>
> > Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 08:14:54 +1200
> > From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
> > To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
> > Subject: Re: [BL] SVGA Xserver
> >
> > sindi keesan wrote:
> > >
> > > Default mouse is still 2button serial.
> >
> > As I said, the included /etc/XF86Config is simply a
> > copy of the one that works on my system. My mouse
> > is a 2-button serial.
> >
> > I expect most users will do their own configuration
> > by running xf86config (or by editing the existing
> > /etc/XF86Config).
>
> Can you just edit it manually and if so would you mind putting in the
> proper line needed for PS/2 and 3button with # in front of it? xf86config
> is one of the most confusing programs I have ever run, and I kept having
> to start over and kept making different mistakes each time.

You can also use the alternate configuration system, which is in xset.tgz
of Slackware.

> > > Also could you include # 1024 resolution or is that
> > > specific to each card?
> >
> > My monitor is not capable of doing 1024.
>
> We find monitors at the curb here which do 1600. Is there a low-end
> setting for 1024 that you could put in the config file anyway, with a # in
> front of it, so people would not have to tangle with xf86config?
> Do you need a 1024 monitor in order to get the modelines section? Is that
> specific to the card or the monitor?

It's not hard to add more modes. Search for 'Subsection "Display"' in
XF86Config. You should see several sections, one for each color depth.
Something like:

Subsection "Display"
Depth 8
Modes "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubsection

You can add "1024x768" after Modes and before 800x... of line 3.

> > > Could I edit the config file to remove 800x600 for
> > > a computer with monochrome screen and 640x480 resolution,
> >
> > Yes. Don't worry about the Modelines; just remove the
> > "800x600" from the "Screen" Modes.
>
> Or #?
>

> > > Maybe you could eventually write up a simple script to
> > > edit the config file to change just mouse and max resolution
> > > and colors, as for Xvesa.
> >
> > The current Xvesa is the simple option. Installing
> > and configuring a full Xserver is more demanding
> > (because some parameters are hardware specific).
>
> I was afraid of this - so you cannot just choose some low-end setting that
> would work for all cards.
>
> > xf86config is the appropriate tool for that job.
> >
> > > xf86config took me three days to get right each time.
> >
> > The critical values are HorizSync and Vert Refresh.
> > When you find ones that work on a monitor, write
> > them on a sticker and attach it to the monitor.
>
> Can't we just choose the lowest possible setting for 1024 instead?

Perhaps. I've found the default modes a littly iffy.

> > BTW, /etc/XF86Config has nothing to do with kernels
> > or libraries. So, if you have used the same hardware
> > with BL2 (or other version of Linux), you can copy
> > that /etc/XF86Config to BL3. As long as you have
> > the right Xserver installed, you should be OK.
> >
> > > Xvesa lets me choose resolution and color depth each
> > > time I use it - 640 for viewing our photos, 1024 to
> > > view wide websites.
> >
> > A full Xserver will let you change resolution on the
> > fly (by pressing CTRL-ALT-+) or use the screen as a
> > moveable window on a much larger virtual screen.
>
> Xvesa did not seem to do this. Do I start at the highest resolution and
> then press the keys?

Yes. Remember that Modes "800x600" "640x480" line from above? If both modes
work, then 800x600 will be the default, but Ctrl-Alt-+ will select 640x480.

> > > This server is, unfortunately, nearly 4 times the size
> > > of Xvesa, even without including fonts
> >
> > the extra fonts are less than 10kb.
> The server is the problem, not the fonts.

I will probably prefer KDrive for now, based on the filesize.

> > > Not suitable for a 2-floppy linux.
> >
> > It was never meant to be.
> >
> > > I wonder if someone knowledgeable could write a
> > > smaller version of it.
> >
> > That's what Xvesa is.
>
> Does it take a lot of extra bytes to get 8-bit color and not to get
> interference from config.sys?

Not sure. When you get a working MPlayer, you can try the MPlayer vesa,
see if it works any better than Xvesa with those things.

> Is there any way to compile XSVGA a bit smaller, maybe with less features
> but not the problems of Xvesa?

Not really.

> I will experiment with 1024. Websites are being written much too wide. I
> run into 1600-wide sites now when I use 1024. Maybe I can get some
> general config file working that does not explode any monitors (lowest
> refresh rates) and lets you # out modes you do not have. I cannot seem to
> notice any difference between the looks of different refresh rates.

David
once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com