baslinux - Re: [BL] SVGA Xserver

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] SVGA Xserver
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 14:55:44 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 3 May 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> sindi keesan wrote:
> >
> > Can you just edit it manually
>
> Yes.
>
> > and if so would you mind putting in the proper
> > line needed for PS/2
>
> Protocol "PS/2"
Thanks, but I was suggesting that you provide this alternate in the actual
configuration file so that people would not have to keep asking what it
should be.
Protocol "Microsoft"
#Protocal "PS/2"

> > and 3button
>
> Emulate3Buttons

Does this mean to actually use a 3-button mouse? Or to use a 2-button
mouse that emulates 3-button?

> > xf86config is one of the most confusing programs
> > I have ever run,
>
> You get used to it after a while. Keep trying.
But every time I accidentally answer a question wrong I need to start all
over again and there are LOTS of questions.

> > and I kept having to start over and kept making
> > different mistakes each time.
>
> It might help to keep a written record of the choices
> you make.
I still make mistakes in typing.

> > We find monitors at the curb here which do 1600.
>
> Lucky you. My very best monitor goes no higher than
> 800x600 (which is why you never see a higher setting
> than 800x600 in any of the config files I do).
I wish we could send you a 1024 cheaply.

> > Is there a low-end setting for 1024 that you could
> > put in the config file anyway,
>
> As I said before, that config file is simply the one
> that works for me. I won't be including any config
> file that I haven't tested myself. I expect most
> people will be creating their own config files
> (using xf86config or XF86Setup or whatever).
>
> > so people would not have to tangle with xf86config?
>
> As I said before, the easy option is Xvesa. If you
> want something better, you need to do a bit of work.

Xvesa is not helpful on a computer with max color depth 256 if you want to
run links2 or abiword. I will try to get 1024 generic working. David
said just to add "1024x768" in one section but I think I would also have
to add something for modelines. I will see what the setup is that works
with SiS and S3 and try it with the Matrox and other cards.

This might not be for a while, as I am supposed to be creating test files
and trying to print them with pbmtoppa which has had one problem fixed (a
divided by zero) but is seriously broken in at least two other ways.
The printout looks like it was printed at 1200 dpi instead of 600, and
then a tractor ran over the wet ink and transferred it to another page.