baslinux - Re: [BL] SVGA Xserver

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] SVGA Xserver
  • Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 07:52:55 +1200

sindi keesan wrote:

> I accidentally used the XVGA X server when I changed

The VGA Xserver works on just about everything, but
I don't think the SVGA Xserver is that flexible.

> from SiS to S3 Virge and it is working just fine.

According to the documentation for the S3V Xserver
(the one designed for the Virge card), the SVGA
Xserver also works with this card.

> I may experiment some time with this - I have lots
> of video cards.

That could be useful. Please let us know what you find.

> Could I possibly mess up the software irretrievably
> if I set up for SVGA server and fed it S3's, Cirrus,
> ATI, etc.?

No. Just pkg the new Xserver on top of the old. The
installation routine automatically points X at the new
Xserver.

> And would this package also work in BL2,

No. The no-xvesa.tgz package relies on libc5.
You use it with an Xserver from Slackware 4.0.

> I see also a fonts.dir and fonts/misc/cursor.pcf.gz and
> /fonts/misc/clR6x13.pcf.gz - are these things that Xvesa
> provides built-in but SVGA server does not?

That's right. Xvesa has a few small fonts built in.
None of the standard Xservers have built-in fonts.

> Also what is /X11/rgb.txt?

It's a color-code table. Xvesa does not need it, but
standard Xservers do.

> Does the card have to be VESA 1.2 for SVGA X server?

I don't think so.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru