baslinux - Re: [BL] SVGA Xserver

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] SVGA Xserver
  • Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 20:37:24 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 2 May 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

I accidentally used the XVGA X server when I changed

The VGA Xserver works on just about everything, but
I don't think the SVGA Xserver is that flexible.
I meant the SVGA server and it worked with the VIrge perfectly.

from SiS to S3 Virge and it is working just fine.

According to the documentation for the S3V Xserver
(the one designed for the Virge card), the SVGA
Xserver also works with this card.
What other cards is it supposed to also work with?

I may experiment some time with this - I have lots
of video cards.

That could be useful. Please let us know what you find.

Could I possibly mess up the software irretrievably
if I set up for SVGA server and fed it S3's, Cirrus,
ATI, etc.?

No. Just pkg the new Xserver on top of the old. The
installation routine automatically points X at the new
Xserver.

So if I use SVGA and it does not work I would install something else on top of it again?

And would this package also work in BL2,

No. The no-xvesa.tgz package relies on libc5.
You use it with an Xserver from Slackware 4.0.
Could I substitute for any binaries the ones from 7.1.

If I were not to use xf86config, which you include, but just the various font and config files, would it work in BL2? I could then change XF86Config with a text editor if it worked,, to get higher resolution.

I see also a fonts.dir and fonts/misc/cursor.pcf.gz and
/fonts/misc/clR6x13.pcf.gz - are these things that Xvesa
provides built-in but SVGA server does not?

That's right. Xvesa has a few small fonts built in.
None of the standard Xservers have built-in fonts.

Also what is /X11/rgb.txt?

It's a color-code table. Xvesa does not need it, but
standard Xservers do.

Does the card have to be VESA 1.2 for SVGA X server?

I don't think so.
I will try it specifically on something that is not, such as an old Oak or Realtek ISA card (they needed Univesa or the like to work as VESA).