baslinux - Re: [BL] broken windows needs replacing

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] broken windows needs replacing
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 10:19:10 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> I have a 56K modem. Connection speed is always listed as '57600'
> for this modem.

My ISA modem always says 115200.

> Is my download speed typical for a 56K modem?

Probably. I may have a fast 56k, as I can easily stream 32k, and
on a good day 40-50k. There are many things which affect the speed:
line noise on the phone lines between your modem and the phone
company, ISP modem availability, ISP raw bandwidth (before it's
divided among hundreds or thousands of users), quality of the modem.

> I think my 'free
> ISP' (local community college) may be worth about what it costs.
> Web pages are loaded at up to 5K but downloads rarely reach 3.2K.

Web pages are uncompressed, so they are easy to compress to a smaller
size to allow a faster rate. Downloads are usually compressed, so
compression has little effect.

David
once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com