baslinux - Re: [BL] broken windows needs replacing

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] broken windows needs replacing
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 15:21:23 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005, James Miller wrote:

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005, sindi keesan wrote:

Is my download speed typical for a 56K modem? I think my 'free ISP' (local community college) may be worth about what it costs. Web pages are loaded at up to 5K but downloads rarely reach 3.2K.

It's been awhile since I was on a dialup connection, but I recall getting 4-5K/sec on downloads at times. With applications that show real connection speed, I found myself often needing to diconnect when I got a slow connection (less than 45000) and immediately reconnecting to try and get a faster one. This often worked. I suppose it depends how many modems/modem banks your ISP has and whether they're using newer hardware.

James

I forgot to mention that I am downloading web pages at 4.9K, but cannot get 24K broadcasts to sound good. I have no other way to measure actual connection speed with this modem (always thinks it is '57600') but my regular internet connection on a different modem (which messes up the phone line) was 45333 most of the time. In theory it should handle 32K but it won't.

wdav eventually stopped playing, presumably when it lost the stream for too long (faster stations stopped much sooner).