baslinux - Re: [BL] broken windows needs replacing

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] broken windows needs replacing
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 19:23:45 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> >> Does this mean you can somehow combine wget and mpg123?
> >
> > You can do that.
> >
> >> Using a sound-compatible kernel and sound modules and devices:
> >>
> >> wget http://www.music.com/file.mp3|mpg123 ???
> >
> > wget -O - http://www.music.com/file.mp3 | mpg123 -
>
> The -O is to interrupt broken downloads and the - downloads to stdin?

From the wget man page:

-O file
--output-document=file
The documents will not be written to the appropriate files, but all
will be concatenated together and written to file. If file already
exists, it will be overwritten. If the file is -, the documents
will be written to standard output. Including this option automat-
ically sets the number of tries to 1.

> I searched on streaming MP3 and classical and the sites I found do
> not have files ending in .mp3.
>
> http://www.classicaliscool.com/audiocomposers/vonsuper.asx
> (lynx thinks this is video-ms-asf)

Something wrapped in an older Microsoft format. MPlayer should handle
it.

> This is the Poets and Peasants Overture, which we heard yesterday
> played by 16 members of a Tuba and Euphonium Ensemble.
>
> There is Rock at http://wmbr.org/WMBR_live_24.m3u

I tried that. mpg123 tried to grok it, but failed. I used wget to
download it, then used cat to print it and discovered that all it
contained was:

http://headphones.mit.edu:8080/

So I tried

mpg123 http://headphones.mit.edu:8080/

and mpg123 spit out a warning message but then it played fine.

I found this site:

http://hanna.pyxidis.org/tech/m3u.html

It says that m3u files are just playlists. The real links to mp3s
are found encoded in plain text.

> http://www.di.fm/mp3 has files in .asx or .pls (audio/x-scpls)
> and they say the MP3 files are 96K and the AAC+ streams are 24K
>
> Is AAC+ the same as .pls?
>
> http://www.mostlyclassical.com/mp3/classical24k.pls

Looks like it. Xmms has an aac plugin.

> None of these are .mp3. I played at making an mp3 file from a CD
> and it was .mp3, as was something I once downloaded to play with
> dosamp. I don't know if mpg123 can handle .m3u or .asx or .pls
> formats.

.m3u files can be handled, at least manually. Xmms can do .pls files.
MPlayer can do all three, but .pls needs an extra plugin. I'm not
sure how to add that.

> So I went to www.mpg123.de and after many brief waits learned that
> the current version 0.59r has some serious security problems and
> should not be downloaded. So do other recent versions, so I
> presume the precompiled
> mpg123-0.59q-1.i386.rpm should not be downloaded.

0.59r is what I'm using.

> Does the SW7.1 mpg123 work at the above URLs?

Yes.

> Progress on zip BL3 - the zip disk was bad, could not be formatted,
> so I got another two and may use 60MB for linux so I can add opera
> to show people what is possible. Maybe I can even show them
> streaming mp3 but they would need to have SB16 for me to use
> Christof's sb package.

Unless you use a different driver set.

David
once.