baslinux - Re: [BL] broken windows needs replacing

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] broken windows needs replacing
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 03:15:07 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005, Ron Clarke wrote:

Sure, you can convert from wav (audio cd's are usually wav, I think) to mp3
with any number of Linux apps. mp3blaster has such an option in its
interface. I'd go with ogg rather than mp3, though (oog is a more open
format). THere are all kinds of sound editing apps for Linux, too, so you
should be able to manipulate those ogg's/mp3's however you want.

Even DOS cdroast comes with a way to make wav into mp3.

In DOS, I would recommend using Bladeenc, or even Lame, to convert .WAV to
.MP3.
And CD2WAV will rip the CD tracks into .WAV files.

I found both of these precompiled for DOS and even libc5. I used (once) whatever came with DOS cdroast, and also cd2wav in DOS, but I could not find any way to write .wav files to a CD in DOS. The reason for using DOS is that one of our CD-ROM burners won't work in linux until kernel 2.6.
Linux is usually faster and can deal with poor quality CDs (such as a very scratched up SW 3.2).

BTW: Sindi, I doubt that most MP3 players will do a good job on streaming MP3s over a dial-up link. The one exception may be Realplayer, which IS able to buffer the stream. And this really amounts to a download and THEN play routine, anyway.

Thanks. So it is not just my bad connection? I notice Realplayer takes a minute or so to get going, but even with a buffer, if I can only download at 2.7Kbytes/sec max (and variable), which is 22Kbit/sec, it is not going to keep up with 32Kbits/sec or even 24Kbit/sec for very long. I will try out the neighbors' connections. We now have 3 candidates for linux. Might be because we told them we are incapable of helping with XP.

mpg123 appears to be doing some sort of buffering since it keeps telling me 'cannot rewind stream by 1208 bits' (followed by 455 and 267 bits) but eventually gets a little less choppy.

Would Mplayer buffer realaudio as well as Realplayer? Realaudio streams are inherently choppy from most stations.

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Clarke