baslinux - Re: [BL] broken windows needs replacing

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT earthlink.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] broken windows needs replacing
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 07:24:30 +1000

Hi Folks,

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 03:15:07 +0000 (UTC)
sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> >> Even DOS cdroast comes with a way to make wav into mp3.
> >
> > In DOS, I would recommend using Bladeenc, or even Lame, to convert .WAV
> > to .MP3.
> > And CD2WAV will rip the CD tracks into .WAV files.
>
> I found both of these precompiled for DOS and even libc5.

Yes, I use both in DOS and Linux (making MP3s is a bit of a hobby).

> I used (once)
> whatever came with DOS cdroast, and also cd2wav in DOS, but I could not
> find any way to write .wav files to a CD in DOS.

I have a DOS package that is supposed to do all that, but I have not yet
got it to work.
It requires a specific driver (which is included) to be loaded before it can
write to my IDE CD burner, and it got to be too complicated. So I have only
been burning CDs with Linux.

> > BTW: Sindi, I doubt that most MP3 players will do a good job on
> > streaming MP3s over a dial-up link. The one exception may be Realplayer,
> > which IS able to buffer the stream. And this really amounts to a
> > download and THEN play routine, anyway.
>
> Thanks. So it is not just my bad connection? I notice Realplayer takes a
> minute or so to get going, but even with a buffer, if I can only download
> at 2.7Kbytes/sec max (and variable), which is 22Kbit/sec, it is not going
> to keep up with 32Kbits/sec or even 24Kbit/sec for very long.

To successfully stream anything in real time, I think you need to have
something faster than dial-up - even if you have quite a good one, like mine
most of the time. I no longer bother to get anything to "stream". If I can't
download first and then listen, I don't want to hear/watch it.

> mpg123 appears to be doing some sort of buffering since it keeps telling
> me 'cannot rewind stream by 1208 bits' (followed by 455 and 267 bits) but
> eventually gets a little less choppy.

This would be in response to some kind of artifact embedded in the MP3
file.
Newer mpg123 versions handle this stuff without blinking.

> Would Mplayer buffer realaudio as well as Realplayer? Realaudio streams
> are inherently choppy from most stations.

I haven't looked for a way to do it, but I doubt it will be any better
than realplayer.
I use the latest MPlayer I compiled just a couple of months ago, running in
SW9.1, but I still think it is more sensible to fully download any
multi-media before invoking the appropriate player.

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Clarke