baslinux - Re: [BL] broken windows needs replacing

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] broken windows needs replacing
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 15:11:12 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005, James Miller wrote:

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005, sindi keesan wrote:

Is my download speed typical for a 56K modem? I think my 'free ISP' (local community college) may be worth about what it costs. Web pages are loaded at up to 5K but downloads rarely reach 3.2K.

It's been awhile since I was on a dialup connection, but I recall getting 4-5K/sec on downloads at times. With applications that show real connection speed, I found myself often needing to diconnect when I got a slow connection (less than 45000) and immediately reconnecting to try and get a faster one. This often worked. I suppose it depends how many modems/modem banks your ISP has and whether they're using newer hardware.

James

I don't think I am going to be able to listen to streaming mp3 over a modem connection. Today I tried a 'real' ISP and 24K is listenable (occasional blip) but 32K is quite choppy. The only classical broadcasts I could find were at least 32K stereo. Nobody seems to broadcast MP3 in mono. Last year I found lots of Realaudio and Windows Media stations that would work over a modem at 32K.

I think this is because mpg123 does not buffer like Realaudio or WMP do.

Someone with a DSL connection could try the many stations at www.live365.com/index.live (you are supposed to register first but I was able to get www.live365.com/play/kcme at 32K without registering).

www.classicalwebcast.com lists many others but most of the links no longer work and if they do I got 'illegal header' (would not play) or 'connection refused' or once 'Server Full 504' (http://audio.ibiblio.org:8000/wdav-24k).

Does anyone know of a 24K classical streaming mp3 broadcaster that has some open connections?

We have NO local classical radio stations in our large college town (one got bought out by a rock company and the other went all NPR talk). There are three classical stations 50-75 miles from here that can be listened to in mono with static (except not from 4-7 pm or Friday evening through Sunday evening when they all play jazz and rock if not opera) so internet radio is actually better quality than regular broadcasts.

I just got through to wdav at 24Kbit/sec 16000 Hz mono!

Still a bit choppy but I would not want lower sampling rate.

Is there some linux mp3 player that buffers better?

Thanks for the idea on how to use wget on the playlist file but since there seems to be only one station I can listen to I will just make an alias.