baslinux - Re: [BL] broken windows needs replacing

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] broken windows needs replacing
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 23:34:21 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005, David Moberg wrote:
mpg123 can handle streaming directly from HTTP.

Does this mean you can somehow combine wget and mpg123?

You can do that.

Using a sound-compatible kernel and sound modules and devices:

wget http://www.music.com/file.mp3|mpg123 ???

wget -O - http://www.music.com/file.mp3 | mpg123 -

The -O is to interrupt broken downloads and the - downloads to stdin?

I presume I would have to choose some broadcast stream that my
modem can handle (33-42K).

Or have really choppy audio or download it first.

It is available in 24K streams.

It can't be this easy.

It's easier. Just use the URL directly with mpg123:

mpg123 http://www.music.com/file.mp3

David
--

I searched on streaming MP3 and classical and the sites I found do not have files ending in .mp3.

http://www.classicaliscool.com/audiocomposers/vonsuper.asx
(lynx thinks this is video-ms-asf)
This is the Poets and Peasants Overture, which we heard yesterday played by 16 members of a Tuba and Euphonium Ensemble.

There is Rock at http://wmbr.org/WMBR_live_24.m3u

http://www.di.fm/mp3 has files in .asx or .pls (audio/x-scpls)
and they say the MP3 files are 96K and the AAC+ streams are 24K

Is AAC+ the same as .pls?

http://www.mostlyclassical.com/mp3/classical24k.pls

None of these are .mp3. I played at making an mp3 file from a CD and it was .mp3, as was something I once downloaded to play with dosamp. I don't know if mpg123 can handle .m3u or .asx or .pls formats.

So I went to www.mpg123.de and after many brief waits learned that the current version 0.59r has some serious security problems and should not be downloaded. So do other recent versions, so I presume the precompiled
mpg123-0.59q-1.i386.rpm should not be downloaded.

Does the SW7.1 mpg123 work at the above URLs?

Progress on zip BL3 - the zip disk was bad, could not be formatted, so I got another two and may use 60MB for linux so I can add opera to show people what is possible. Maybe I can even show them streaming mp3 but they would need to have SB16 for me to use Christof's sb package.