baslinux - Re: [BL] broken windows needs replacing

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] broken windows needs replacing
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 02:58:26 +0000 (UTC)

Is there some way to add a buffer to mpg123? Or amp, which comes in the same package? Could I, for instance, start downloading an .mp3 and one minute later start to play the partially downloaded file?

I discovered that it is indeed possible for mpg123 to start playing a file during a download. I just downloaded a file encoded at 128kbit/sec (16 kB/sec) at 2.7kB/sec, which is 7 min for a 1.2min file. About 1 in from the end of the download I could start playing and it would reach the end the same time as the download finished.

I have a 56K modem. Connection speed is always listed as '57600' for this modem.

In order to listen to streaming mp3s, I would need to find some station that streams at 2.7KB/sec, which is about 20Kbits/sec. All the ones I tried were at least 24Kbits/sec except for one 16K. Even for a 20Kbits/sec files it would help to have a buffer of a minute or so.

Is my download speed typical for a 56K modem? I think my 'free ISP' (local community college) may be worth about what it costs. Web pages are loaded at up to 5K but downloads rarely reach 3.2K.

I was able to download one piano piece encoded at 32K/sec and one at 128K. What is typical? With 32K, I could download about a third and then start to listen.