baslinux - Re: [BL] broken windows needs replacing

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] broken windows needs replacing
  • Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 18:52:09 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Miller" <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>

> Interesting offer of Mplayer, which I hear alot of good things
> about. With its plugins and added codecs, I think it can handle
> about any media file. So, it's like M$'s Media Player--only better
> :)

I was on XP and tried to play a video file from one of my digital
cameras. Media Player couldn't handle it, even after trying to
download a new codec. Mplayer played it perfectly.

> But it may be overkill for your needs, Sindi. You don't want to
> watch video, right? Just listen to some sort of broadcasts?

It appears to be Realaudio. MPlayer has 2 gazillion options of
things to configure. You can completely drop video support and
make a much smaller binary.

I don't think there is much smaller which can handle Realaudio.

> I don't
> know if what I've found and been using will help or not.
> Streamripper is a command line program (also been gui'fied by
> someone in a related project, as I understand it) that writes mp3
> streams to your hard drive. If the station(s) you want to listen to
> offer their streams in mp3 format, this program can capture them to
> hard drive for later listening. I suppose you could even listen
> near-simultaneously too, if you configured things right.
> Unfortunately, I'm not doing this on BL, so I'm not sure what would
> be involved in getting the program running on it. In addition to
> Streamripper, you need a program that plays back mp3's: there are
> also command line programs that do this--mpg123 or something like
> that is one of them, I think. That should definitely be in even
> older Slackwares (just checked: it's in 7.1 for sure).

mpg123 can handle streaming directly from HTTP.

David
once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com